Sorry for the delay on updating everyone. Between the blog going private, lack of movement on Friday and Saturday, coupled with Friday being a half work day, there wasn't much progress.
Thursday night after we got word from the US Official (that the DRC Embassy needed verification of all our documents), Rick came down with something nasty shortly thereafter. I'm sure it was a combination of being tired and stressed that his body was just beaten down. Becky and I headed off first thing to the DRC Embassy to meet with the gentleman who said our documents had too many "inconsistencies". We wanted to understand exactly what those were so we could address them with our attorneys and get this mess behind us. We arrived around 8:45 and they were not open yet. There was an embassy employee out front talking to another person and when he finished up he told us they wouldn't open until 9:30, but he remembered us very well since it was our 5th time being there in five days. As we stood outside waiting, another embassy worker pulled up to the gate. He looked at as and he too recognized us and started lightly clapping his hands as to encourage us to keep coming back. We sat at the embassy for an hour and a half and the Consular never came in. We told them we would be back in the afternoon to try to connect with him.
We jumped in the car and were about to head over to Social Welfare when we got a call to be invited to the US Ambassador of Zambia's home later that afternoon. We didn't know what to expect out of the meeting, but we figured being the highest ranking official in Zambia, it was worth meeting with him. Rick needed to head back to the states to get to work on Monday so we headed back to the hotel to grab him and take him to the airport. The traffic was terrible and it looked as if we were going to be late to our meeting so we had to put Rick in a cab and we headed off. At the meeting with the Ambassador, it was a lot of the same stuff we've been hearing about the process has to work itself out and it's gonna take some time, etc. It's interesting because these kids will be US Citizens the moment they step foot on American soil but until then, they do not experience the same level of government engagement as the rest of us. I'd like to see how the US would handle this situation if the kids were US Citizens, I'm sure they would have been out of there within hours. It's just sad to me that our government can't do more because their citizenship is not official. On a side note, this guy had a Thai Ridgeback. That dog was probably the highlight of the visit.
We left there and there wasn't much else to do so we grabbed a pizza from Pizza Inn. It's not quite like American pizza, but it was close enough. Then we headed back to the hotel for the night. Upon arriving, I checked my email and found our attorney had taken three of our most critical court documents to the Justice Department in Kinshasa and had them certified. We are hoping these documents will help to prove that our adoptions are legitimate.
This morning we started off by getting the certified documents printed off. We left the print shop and headed to the DRC Embassy - Closed. Then we went to the Social Welfare Office - Closed! We had been told that government employees worked 1/2 days on Saturdays but I guess that was incorrect. With it only being 10 o'clock we knew we had to find something to do rather than just sit around so we decided to go on a Safari. We drove about an hour outside of Lusaka and found a place. This was nothing like the safari Tori and I experienced in the Masi Mara when we were in Kenya, but it was still a good time. The game is in high fences so you don't get to see the lions kill their prey. But we happened to be there on feeding day so we got closer than I have ever been. At one point there was only a foot between me and a big male with a chain link fence separating us. I'm pretty certain the cat could get through there if he wanted. After hanging out there for a few hours we headed back to the hotel. We may go back there tomorrow as they have another attraction where you can walk with the cheetahs (for 150 Kwacha - $20). I've never been able to pet a cheetah so it sounds interesting.
As for our mission. I'm actually kind of glad the weekend is here. I would have liked to try to make progress today, but I'm using this time to refresh my batteries and get my head in a place that I can hit the ground running on Monday. Thinking back to yesterday's defeat, this is an answer to prayer that God gave us a day to refresh while He works out the details.
Tori and I decided to book my return flight for Wednesday. We think one of two things will happen, we'll have it resolved by then OR it will take a month or two for resolution. Of course if it looks like we are close then we'll revaluate, but we are praying that God will deliver by the scheduled date because I really want to get home to see Tori and Ivan and I would love it even more if Vera is with me. We are getting to a place where there is not much more than can be argued. Everyone has stopped talking about the exit letter as it appears it was signed by an authority that people do not question. The conversation around trafficking and smuggling is completely gone. Once we get our paperwork cleared up, I can't see anything else that would keep us from moving forward. I'm praying that these certified documents are the ammo we need to get our kids and leave Zambia. We have also been talking to our DRC lawyer, and while he is in the US right now, we may have someone he knows come to help us on Monday.
I most likely will not post an update tomorrow as there will be no movement, but I'll be back on Monday. We have a lot of things Monday and we are going to keep moving so God can show us the direction.
As for specific prayers - we are praying for our heart to be submitted before God so he can continue to give us faith and hope to keep going. Praying for Vera to be safe and taken care of. We are praying for whatever is hidden to be revealed (Luke 8:17) in regards to a hidden motive behind all these delays. And prayers that you, as well as us, would be expectant before God and boldly ask Him to resolve this situation next week.
Thanks for your love and support.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



hi there… welcome to our blog! this little blog is a collection of stories from our life. we’re grateful for the awesome journey God is leading us through… and with each new story, we pray that we will always bring Him praise. thanks for being part of our story.
No comments:
Post a Comment